[R] confidence intervals around p-values

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Sep 9 18:29:49 CEST 2010

One other case where a confidence interval on a p-value may make sense is permutation (or other resampling) tests.  The population parameter p-value would be the p-value that would be obtained from the distribution of all possible permutations, but in practice we just sample from that population and estimate a p-value.  The confidence interval would then be based on the number of sample permutations and could give an idea if that number was big enough.  If the full confidence interval is less than alpha then you can be confident that the "true" p-value would give significance, if it is completely above alpha then it is not significant.  The real problem comes when the confidence interval includes alpha, that would indicate that B (the number of resamples/permutations) was not large enough.  Be careful, doing a small number of permutations then deciding to do more based on the CI would likely introduce bias (how much is another question).

The nice thing is that in this case the p-value is a simple proportion and the confidence interval can be computed using binom.test.

But, I fully agree that in most cases the idea of a CI for a p-value is not meaningful, you need to have some case where your p-value is an estimate of a "population parameter p-value" that has some meaning.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org