[R] optimized value worse than starting Value

Hans W Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 18:58:06 CEST 2010

Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson <at> lancaster.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Michael Bernsteiner
> <dethlef1 <at> hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm optimizing a relatively simple function. Using optimize the optimized
> > parameter value is worse than the starting. why?

I would like to stress here that finding a global minimum is not as much
sorcery as this thread seems to suggest. A widely accepted procedure to
provably identify a global minimum goes roughly as follows
(see Chapt. 4 in [1]):

  - Make sure the global minimum does not lie 'infinitely' for out.
  - Provide estimations for the derivatives/gradients.
  - Define a grid fine enough to capture or exclude minima.
  - Search grid cells coming into consideration and compare.

This can be applied to two- and higher-dimensional problems, but of course
may require enormous efforts. In science and engineering applications it is at
times necessary to really execute this approach.

Hans Werner

[1] F. Bornemann et al., "The SIAM 100-Digit Challenge", 2004, pp. 79.

    "In fact, a slightly finer grid search will succeed in locating the
     proper minimum; several teams used such a search together with estimates
     based on the partial derivatives of f to show that the search was fine
     enough to guarantee capture of the answer."