[R] Newbie cross tabulation issue

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Sep 9 20:14:14 CEST 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Jonathan Finlay wrote:

> Ok friends, I tried but I not know! I'm a Linux SysAdmin and Stadistical and
> i working to migrate all the software in my workplace to free or open
> software. The OS was easy, ofimatic suite too, multimedia and graphics you
> know, everything was relatively easy. But i work with SPSS and I produce
> tables from polls with CTABLES and FRECUENCIES tables. In my migration party
> I think R is the best option but need replace SPSS functions and procedures.
> I know that sucks but it's.
>
> In the attach you will see an example with a short output like I need,
> please I'm starting with R and i 'm study but i need to find something to
> replace this frecuently output while grows my experience in R.
>
> This is the syntaxis used:
>
> FREQUENCIES
>   VARIABLES= REGION
> /ORDER=  ANALYSIS .
>
> CTABLES
>    /VLABELS VARIABLES=zona V1 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8  v51
>        DISPLAY=DEFAULT
>    /TABLE ZONA  [C] +V1 [C] +V3 [C] +V4 [C] +V5 [C] +V6 [C] +V7 [C] +V8 [C]
> BY v51
>        [C][ROWPCT.COUNT  COMMA40.1, TOTALS[COLPCT.COUNT  COMMA40.1]]
>    /SLABELS VISIBLE=NO
>    /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=ZONA ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE TOTAL=YES
> LABEL='Total'
>        POSITION=BEFORE
>    /CATEGORIES VARIABLES= V1 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8
>        ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=EXCLUDE
>    /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=v51 ORDER=D KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE TOTAL=YES
> LABEL='Frecuencia'
>        POSITION=AFTER
>    /TITLES
>        TITLE='  '.
>
> R is grand, great and biggest.
>
> Thanks for all.

I would recommend getting a copy of Bob Muenchen's book:

  R for SAS and SPSS Users
  http://sites.google.com/site/r4statistics/the-books/r4sas-spss

There is a free smaller version here:

  http://sites.google.com/site/r4statistics/free-version

and you can get a full copy from Amazon.com:

  http://www.amazon.com/SAS-SPSS-Users-Statistics-Computing/dp/0387094172

That would be the best place to start, relative to moving from SPSS to R.

Part of the challenge is not just replicating SPSS code and output in R, but understanding the conceptual differences between the two, so that you can take advantage of R's approach/philosophy in conducting data analysis.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz