[R] Transparent Labels for Polar Plot

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Sep 14 12:25:32 CEST 2010

On 09/14/2010 06:25 AM, James MacCarthy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently using the polar.plot function in the plotrix package to graph data. Unfortunately, it seems that the default for the labels is to have a background color that is covering the line representing my data, making it difficult to read. Is there a way to make this label background transparent?

Hi Jimmy,
The easiest way is to change the following lines near the bottom of the
radial.plot function:

boxed.labels(grid.pos-radial.lim[1],ypos,radial.labels,border=FALSE,
  cex=par("cex.lab"))

text(grid.pos-radial.lim[1],ypos,radial.labels,cex=par("cex.lab"))

If this is a Good Idea, I'll add an option to do one or the other.

Jim