[R] Error: cannot allocate vector of size X.0 Mb

John1983 sandhya_prabhakaran at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 16:09:57 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am working with a file (900MB in size) that has around 10 million records
(in particular FASTQ records).
I am able to read in the file as an object of BStringSet. When I start to
manipulate the data, after almost 4 hours, I get the error message as Error:
cannot allocate vector of size X.0 Mb (where X was once 160MB and then
180MB).

The R version used is 2.11.1. I am not sure how to check if this is 64-bit
or not so that I can use >4GB of RAM. I typed 'version' at the R prompt and
see this:
platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu.
Does this mean it is already a 64-bit version of R I use?

Please advice.