[R] Error: cannot allocate vector of size X.0 Mb

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Sep 14 17:02:55 CEST 2010

On Sep 14, 2010, at 9:47 AM, John1983 wrote:

> Yes I see.
> So I typed as you mentioned and I get an 8 (therefore this is a 64-bit R).
>
> Is there anything else I need to check to remove this error?

1. Add more RAM.

2. Depending upon what you are doing relative to data management/analysis, you might want to see if there are more efficient approaches.

3. Free up RAM that may be in use by other processes, etc.

4. Look at R packages such as biglm, ff/bit, biganalytics, etc.

5. Consider using a backend data base application (eg. MySQL, Postgres, etc.) to manage the data sets and use R only for analyses, as may be appropriate relative to splitting the tasks.

You did not indicate just how much RAM you have on the machine in question, but if it is within your budget/capability, adding more RAM would be the most transparent approach.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz