[R] nlme numeric data format

ziggyvic v.j.ord at ncl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 18:35:47 CEST 2010

Dear R help folks

I am trying to run nlme for the first time (currently without guidance of
any textbooks), apologies if this is a bit simplistic. My model is 15 env
predictors of diversity, grouped by 3 locations:

mod1<-nlme(shan~Alt+EC+Phos+pH+DOC+NO3NO2+H2O+Amino+NH4+Birds+Plants+Seals+Humans+Disttowest+Oceanicity,fixed=Alt+EC+Phos+pH+DOC+NO3NO2+H2O+Amino+NH4+Birds+Plants+Seals+Humans+Disttowest+Oceanicity~1,random=Alt+EC+Phos+pH+DOC+NO3NO2+H2O+Amino+NH4+Birds+Plants+Seals+Humans+Disttowest+Oceanicity~1|Group,
data=gdata, start=selfStart)

I have done the group data function which apeared to work and when I ask the
data for the format it is currently telling me it is numeric:

> is.numeric(gdata)
[1] TRUE

But is still spewing out the following error message:

Error in Alt + EC + Phos + pH + DOC + NO3NO2 + H2O + Amino + NH4 + Birds +
:
  non-numeric argument to binary operator

Any help appreciated, thanks