[R] lapack in R 2.11.1 (Ubuntu 10.04.1)

Matias Salibian-Barrera msalibian at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 15 22:48:17 CEST 2010

Hi there,

I'm trying to install the package RcppArmadillo in my R 2.11.1 which I installed
and regularly update via Ubuntu's repositories.

When I try to install RcppArmadillo from CRAN I get:

> install.packages('RcppArmadillo', lib='~/myRlibs')
[...]
g++ -shared -o RcppArmadillo.so RcppArmadillo.o fastLm.o
-L/home/matias/myRlibs/Rcpp/lib -lRcpp  -Wl,-rpath,/home/matias/myRlibs/Rcpp/lib
-llapack -lblas -lgfortran -lm  -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llapack

I believe this means I don't have lapack available to link to.

Does anybody know how I can fix this? I really only need to have RcppArmadillo
running.

I'm not a power user. I'm running:

> version
               _
platform       i486-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i486
os             linux-gnu
system         i486, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          11.1
year           2010
month          05
day            31
svn rev        52157
language       R
version.string R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)

and

matias at thecomputer:~$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS \n \l

Thanks a lot in advance.