[R] R Founding

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Sep 17 00:55:28 CEST 2010

Enjoyed it very much!

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On
Behalf Of Tal Galili
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:31 PM
To: jaropis
Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch; ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de;
david at revolutionanalytics.com
Subject: Re: [R] R Founding

Hello dear Jaroslaw,
I strongly agree with you that the R foundation should have an easier method
of enabling people to give donations.
At the same time, I feel there is a (friendly) disagreement between us on
how such money should be used.

Your massage has inspired me to write a post on the topic, titles:
"Open source and money  why R developers shouldnt be
paid<http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/09/open-source-and-money-why-r-develop
ers-shouldnt-be-paid/>
"

I hope you, and other community members, would find interest in it.

Best,
Tal

----------------Contact
Contact me: Tal.Galili at gmail.com |  972-52-7275845 Read me:
www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
www.r-statistics.com (English)
------------------

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM, jaropis <jaropis at zg.home.pl> wrote:

> A few days ago Tal Galili posted a message about some controversies
> concerning the future of R. Having read the discussions, especially
> those following Ross Ihaka's post, I have come to the conclusion,
> that, as usual, the problem is money. I doubt there would be
> discussions about dropping R in its present form if the R-Foundation
> were properly funded and could hire computer scientists, programmers
> and statisticians. If a commercial company is able to provide
> big-database and multicore solutions, then so would a properly founded
> R-Foundation.
>
> In my opinion the main reason for the lack of funding is that the
> Foundation does not want to accept it from users and waits for the
> likes of Google to bring them a sack of money. I have already posted
> about this, but this seems to be the time and place to repeat it: it
> is very difficult to donate anything to the R-Foundation. First you
> have to find the appropriate link at the r-project page, then you have
> to fill out a form and send or fax it to the Foundation. I am not
> comfortable sending my details over snail-mail or fax.
>
> I would GLADLY donate 30-50$ each year just to see R develop, but
> there needs to be a way for me to do it in a civilized manner. If the
> userbase of R is over 2 million there will surely be 100,000 users
> who, like myself, will happily fork out 40$ a year - would that help?
> you can do the calculation yourselves. Set up a donation page in which
> I will be able to pay by credit card or PayPal and you will start
> getting donations from individual users. Advertise this at the startup
> message of the program: say something like "support us at
> www.suppoRtR.com" and the money will start coming. I am sure there
> would be enough to employ some foundation members full-time, pay
> external CSs and even protect the system in court from those who make
> money off of somebody else's work and do not give back to the community
(you know who I am talking about).