[R] Simple question, name of the variable as string.

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 09:16:54 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM, C.H. <chainsawtiney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> I have a very simple question and I've tried to search for the answer.
> (But failed.)
>
> there should be a function (func) that work like
>
>> abc <- c(1,2,3,4)
>> func(abc)
> "abc"
>
> I would like to know the name of that function. Thank you very much
> for your help.

 Think: where does R do this?

 Answer: zzz = 1:10 ; plot(zzz)  # look at the y axis.

 How did it do this? Look at the code. Type 'plot' without () and
there's the code. Somewhere in there you will see where it sets the Y
axis label, or "ylab".

 Then read and understand the help pages for those functions. What
happens if I do func(c(1,2,3,4))? What's the name of 'c(1,2,3,4)'?

 Its a good way to learn.

Barry