[R] function help?

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Sep 17 18:46:22 CEST 2010

If having the definition of the function appear when you enter the name of the function elicits a "hate" response, then perhaps you should not be using R. That characteristic of R is fundamental and unlikely to change: in R everything is an object, and the result of evaluating an expression is displayed at the command line. Other languages have different unifying principles, and may be appropriate for different tasks.

Anything that can be done in R could be done in, say, C, but by the time you did so you might find yourself learning very similar lessons to the ones R assumes you know.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing