[R] Preparing data frame for Plotrix kiteChart

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 20:31:05 CEST 2010

Graham Smith <graham.smith <at> myotis.co.uk> writes:

> Although, I can fix this, I am trying to sort out something as
> straighforward as possible for my students, and I have some questions
> that hopefully someone can help me with.
>
> My data is:
>
> Species	Distance	Count
> A	5		0
> A	10		5
> A	15		5
> A	20		3
> A	25		1
> B	5		8
> B	10		20
> B	15		28
> B	20		12
> B	25		12
> C	5		5
> C	10		12
> C	15		19
> C	20		27
> C	25		34
>
> But I am struggling to get this into a data frame that does what I
> expect. I have tried various arrangements.
>
> What I am hoping for is:
>
> an x-axis labelled "Distance" with tick marks at 0, 5, 10,15,20 and 25.
>
> And, an y-axis labelled "Species" and tick marks labelled A, B and C.
>
> So I would appreciate some help on how the data should be prepared for
> kiteChart, to maximise the lablels being added automatically. If possible.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Graham

####
X <- read.table(textConnection("Species	Distance	Count
A	5		0
A	10		5
A	15		5
A	20		3
A	25		1
B	5		8
B	10		20
B	15		28
B	20		12
B	25		12
C	5		5
C	10		12
C	15		19
C	20		27
C	25		34"),header=TRUE)

library(reshape)
X2 <- recast(X,Distance~Species,id.var=1:2)
X3 <- as.matrix(X2[,-1])
rownames(X3) <- X2$Distance
colnames(X3) <- names(X2)[-1]
library(plotrix)
kiteChart(t(X3),xlab="Distance",ylab="Species")