[R] Data Cube in R from CSV

clangkamp christian.langkamp at gmxpro.de
Fri Sep 17 22:24:19 CEST 2010

Hello
I am at the moment trying to get to grips with a data cube in R, and I am
increasingly wondering whether I am actually making things unnecessarily
difficult for myself.
The idea is that I have a data cube with three dimensions (so a 3D matrix):
companies, figures, and years.
So along the z axis the vectors are essentially time series, the horizontals
are all about a single figure and the verticals are all the data from a
single company.

I create the data cube with the reshape package from a 2D CSV file (which in
turn is saved as a CSV file from an Excel File, which is the data master),
which works so far very fine indeed.

Data_m<-melt(Data, id=1:8, na.rm=TRUE)
Data_cube<-cast(Data_m, Figure~Company~variable)

The question now comes how one can browse through this object, as view gives
it out as A.B and gets rather large. Does anyone know a way to save
resulting data cubes elegantly, i.e. maybe so that there is a tool where one
can scroll through the result, etc. ?

I presume there are several researchers here who also find that Excel is not
at all levels the best repository for R data, but who don't want to toy
around with Linux and for whom Matlab + Stats box is a little pricey.