[R] help interpreting a model summary

zozio32 remy.pascal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 23:59:04 CEST 2010

Thanks for you're long answer.
I have to say, I am not fully sure of what you're meaning everywhere. As I
said, I am merely following a recipe book, and when things depart from it I
am a bit lost.

I'll try to answer to each of your paragraphs:
 3:  I was not wanting to include 3-way interactions, but that's the only
way I found to include a 2 way interaction in my piecewise linear model.
I could obviously include only angleNoise*reflection, but I thought that was
not very consistent with the fact that reflection variable was split in 2.
I could may be define the point of separation, and then create 2 separate
models in the form "lm(weightedDiff ~ angleNoise*reflection)". I merely
thought that my formulation was a way to combine them together.
Basically, i am expecting both parameters to degrade my signal, but I'll not
be surprised if passed a certain level of reflection, having noise or not in
my angles is not really relevant, hence the interaction parameter. The
piecewise linear model is a way to take into account the curvature in the
data that I can observe on a straight scatter plot.

1:  Thanks for the first part, i think I can make sens of it. ;)
I guess I can ignore this parameter in that case.  By the way, which type of
Anova you refering to: creating a factor with "high" and "low" level of
interation, and fitting the interation between angleNoise and this new
factor?

2: first, i was mislead by the meaning of this factor. i only encounter the
version were it's "TRUE", not "FALSE" which is the difference.
I think I also use "important" in a wrong way. I should have used
"significant" instead.
After, i have to admit that I am lost  when you're talking about models with
reversed inequality...

4. Not much to say here, i knew they were pointless but the results from my
formulation of the model. I don't thnik there is a need to removed them no?