[R] Adjusting Font Size: lattice / bwplot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 07:50:05 CEST 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 12:43 AM, Michael Just wrote:

> Hello,
> If you run the following code with lattice installed:
>
> bwplot(voice.part ~ height, data=singer, xlab="Height (inches)")
>
> There will be some text in the graph e.g. Soprano 1, Soprano 2, etc -
> 60, 65, etc and the title: Height (Inches).  How can one make the font
> for this text larger and/or bold?  Also, is there a way to thicken or
> bold the lines of the box and whisker plot?

The information to do this is located in various places of :

?bwplot and
?panel.bwplot
?grid.text   # linked from help(bwplot) .../main, and needed for
fontsize  argument

bwplot(voice.part ~ height, data=singer,
          xlab=list(label="Height (inches)", fontsize=60),   # silly
value
          scales=list(cex=1.5),
          par.settings=list(box.rectangle=list(lwd=2)))

The scales arguments are the one I have most often needed to use. One
can separately alter the x= and y= settings if needed.