[R] help interpreting a model summary

zozio32 remy.pascal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:58:02 CEST 2010

David Winsemius wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2010, at 5:59 PM, zozio32 wrote:
>

>> Thanks for you're long answer.
>> I have to say, I am not fully sure of what you're meaning
>> everywhere. As I
>> said, I am merely following a recipe book, and when things depart
>> from it I
>> am a bit lost.
>>
>> I'll try to answer to each of your paragraphs:
>> 3:  I was not wanting to include 3-way interactions, but that's the
>> only
>> way I found to include a 2 way interaction in my piecewise linear
>> model.
>
> Yes. That makes sense to me.
>
>> I could obviously include only angleNoise*reflection, but I thought
>> that was
>> not very consistent with the fact that reflection variable was split
>> in 2.
>> I could may be define the point of separation, and then create 2
>> separate
>> models in the form "lm(weightedDiff ~ angleNoise*reflection)".
>
> Yes, I see that you did, and that may be helpful in understanding the
> estimates. The question I would ask you is why you are putting a
> breakpoint in a physical model. Unless there is a phase change or some
> discontinuity in effects at that point, I think the breakpoint looks
> artificial. Is "refelction" somehow physically connected with the
> breakpoint? Some sort of acoustic timing phenomenom? Or reflected wave
> effect in a hydraulic model?

 I am generating waves in a wave tank and I have some of it bouncing back
from the tank wall to mess up my measures, and i want to quantify this
effect. "weightedDiff" is a measure of the difference between the target
spectra and what I am measuring.   For that I have generated virtual wave
elevation with different level of reflection and I am analysing the results
of my waves measurement method.
Basically, I can observe a strong curvature in my data "weightedDiff" as a
function of "reflection". Now, I can try to model this curvature by a
"square" term, a linear piece wise linear model or may be a log model in the
form y = a*log(x)+b.    I don't like the "square" model as it will not go to
+inf with reflection -> +inf.
So I've tried the second option with what I thought was not too bad results
I think I'll investigate the log option now. i have to say that speaking to
someone definitely clears up my mind on this. And R is not the cup of tea of
people in my department.
I am not really thinking that there is a breaking point, but that the
influence of the "angleNoise" perturbations (level of uncertainty in the
direction of propagation of my waves) is negligible when the reflection get
too high. If I could identify this point, or a king of limit between 2 zones
( one with reflection low enough that "angleNoise" as to be taken into
account, one with reflection so high that "angleNoise" do not matter any
more) that will be helpful.

>> I merely
>> thought that my formulation was a way to combine them together.
>> Basically, i am expecting both parameters to degrade my signal, but
>> I'll not
>> be surprised if passed a certain level of reflection, having noise
>> or not in
>> my angles is not really relevant, hence the interaction parameter. The
>> piecewise linear model is a way to take into account the curvature
>> in the
>> data that I can observe on a straight scatter plot.
>>
>> 1:  Thanks for the first part, i think I can make sens of it. ;)
>> I guess I can ignore this parameter in that case.  By the way, which
>> type of
>> Anova you refering to: creating a factor with "high" and "low" level
>> of
>> interation, and fitting the interation between angleNoise and this new
>> factor?
>
> If you took a model with all of the data and fit first a model without
> the break point and one with the breakpoint and then looked at the
> output of anova(model1) and annova(model2) the difference in deviance
> across the two models is distributed (asymptotically anyway) as a chi-
> square statistic with the difference in number of degrees of freedom.
> That's a much better basis for deciding whether the addition of the
> term is "statistically significant".

yeah, I did that and there is definitely no match for the linear model
without the break or square term, or anything. I just need to model this
curvature somehow to get a decent model here.  As I am using virtual wave
elevation, I have over 600 observations point, so the anova test results are
not ambiguous at all.