[R] partial dbRDA or CCA with two distance objects in Vegan.

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 19:02:41 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 02:34 +1000, Nevil Amos wrote:
> Thanks for that, just to confirm I therefore need to use:
> #if
> #geogdist  is a geographic distance matrix
> #gen_dist is a genetic distance matrix
> #env_var are environmental variables
>
> mypcnm<-pcnm(geogdist)
>

> mydbRDA<-capscale(gen_dist~env_var+Condition(mypcnm$vectors))

A cleaner way to extract the vectors is to use the scores method for
pcnm objects:

scores(mypcnm)

gives the same as

mypcnm$vectors

but avoids the ugly $ subsetting and allows for the vegan developers to
call $vectors something different if we feel like it :-)

But to answer your main Q, yes, AFAIU, that is how you should do the
analysis. You might also want to think about whether you should retain
all /m/ pcnm components? Some later components will represent nothing
more than random variation in the response (or be indistinguishable from
random variation) and maybe shouldn't be included as spatial structure.

I.e. do:

mod <- capscale(gen_dist ~ scores(mypcnm))
anova(mod, by = "axis")

See which axes are "significant", for purposes of this example assume
the first 10, then use them in your condition model:

mydbRDA <- capscale(gen_dist ~ env_var +
                    Condition(scores(mypcnm, choices = 1:10)))

Anyway, just a thought. And if I'm talking rubbish Jari will no doubt
correct me in short order ;-)