[R] Prime Factorization

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 23:55:49 CEST 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Hans W Borchers wrote:

> David Winsemius <dwinsemius <at> comcast.net> writes:
>

>> A further citation that answers the question I raised (and
>> inaccurately predicted no value) regarding prime.sieve :
>>
>> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/49773.html
>>
>> This was found with Barons search facility set for rhelp postings:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Just being curious:
>
> And did you also find the probably most important and professional of
> all factorization routines in R, based on the Pollard Rho algorithm,
> factorize() in package 'gmp'?

Only when I searched on "factorize". The function name is "factor",
but neither the sos package nor the Baron search page return that
function as a hit with a search for "prime factor". Perhaps the
package's keywords could use some expansion? (On the other hand a
search for "primes factor" does return it as a hit.)

 > require(sos)
 > res <- ???"factorize"
 > matrix(c(as.character(res$Package), as.character(res$Function)),
ncol=2)
       [,1]          [,2]
  [1,] "conf.design" "00Index"
  [2,] "conf.design" "factorize"