[R] Doing operations by grouping variable

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Wed Sep 22 00:14:55 CEST 2010

You left out the subscript.  Why not just do

d <- within(data.frame(group = rep(1:5, each = 5), variable = rnorm(25)),
	scaled <- variable/tapply(variable, group, max)[group])

and be done with it?

(Warning: if you replace the second '<-' above by '=', it will not work.
It is NOT true that you can always replace '<-' by '=' for assignment. Why?)

Bill Venables.