[R] defining set of variables in a formula

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Wed Sep 22 17:34:45 CEST 2010

Ozlem,

Just read ?formula, where it says:

      There are two special interpretations of ‘.’ in a formula.  The
      usual one is in the context of a ‘data’ argument of model fitting
      functions and means ‘all columns not otherwise in the formula’:
      see ‘terms.formula’.  In the context of ‘update.formula’, *only*,
      it means ‘what was previously in this part of the formula’.

So,

lm(y ~ . , data = data)

But what do you hope to conclude from an analysis with thousands
of dependent variables?