[R] Changing x-axis on boxplot

Theresa Csar julia.theresa.csar at univie.ac.at
Sun Sep 26 10:56:57 CEST 2010

Hi,

to hide the axis generated by bxp you have to set axes=FALSE and
frame.plot=FALSE and then you can plot the x-axis by using the axis()
function

example:

boxplot(len ~ dose, data = ToothGrowth,
    frame.plot=FALSE,axes=FALSE,
        boxwex = 0.25, at = 1:3 - 0.2,
        subset = supp == "VC", col = "yellow",
        main = "Guinea Pigs' Tooth Growth",
        xlab = "Vitamin C dose mg",
        ylab = "tooth length",
        xlim = c(0.5, 3.5), ylim = c(0, 35))
boxplot(len ~ dose, data = ToothGrowth, add = TRUE,
    frame.plot=FALSE,axes=FALSE,
        boxwex = 0.25, at = 1:3 + 0.2,
        subset = supp == "OJ", col = "orange")
axis(1,at=0:4)
axis(2,at=(0:17)*2)
legend(2, 9, c("Ascorbic acid", "Orange juice"),
       fill = c("yellow", "orange"))

Theresa