[R] How to update an old unsupported package

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 19:30:56 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Neotropical bat risk assessments
<neotropical.bats at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
> I have a package  that is specific to a task I was repetitively using a few
> years ago.
> I now needed to run it again with new data.
>
> However I am told it was built with an older version or R and will not work.
> How can I tweak the package so it will run on 11.1?
>
> It was a one-off product and has not been maintained.
> Is there a way to "unpackage" it and repackage it to work?
>
> I tried just changing the date and R version in the DESCRIPTION file but
> that did not help.
>
> Tnx
>
> Bruce

You can:

(1) use the old version of R that you previously used and under which
it presumably still works.  Old versions of R are available on CRAN.

or

(2) rebuild and install the old package from source:

Rcmd INSTALL mypackage_1.1-1.tar.gz

If R has changed so much that it will no longer build, install or run
under the latest version of R then you will need to fix up the source
code and rebuild and reinstall the package.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com