[R] Output Graphics GIF

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 16:18:01 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Nilza BARROS <nilzabarros at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> How could I managed graphics in GIF  format? What I have been doing is
> graphics in *.ps or *.eps and after I convert them using CONVERT (from
> ImageMagick) but the output quality is not good.  Since these graphics will
> be use for other users they must have a better image quality.

 The png() graphics driver will produce bitmap graphics which should
convert better to a gif. PostScript is a vector format, so there may
be all sorts of things going on.

 Just feed png() with the width and height you want for your gif and
then you wont have to resize as part of the conversion process.

 Also, GIFs are pretty old-tech these days, so if you could persuade
your other users to switch to png files, its a big win.

Barry