[R] hcluster with linkage median

Kennedy henrik.aldberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 17:22:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

I want to perform a hierarchical clustering using the median as linkage
metric. As I understand it the function hcluster in package amap have this
option but it does not produce the results that I expect.

In the example below M is a matrix of similarities that is transformed into
a matrix of dissimilarities D.
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5]
[1,]  1.0  0.9  0.2  0.2  0.1
[2,]  0.9  1.0  0.7  1.0  0.0
[3,]  0.2  0.7  1.0  0.8  0.8
[4,]  0.2  1.0  0.8  1.0  0.5
[5,]  0.1  0.0  0.8  0.5  1.0

Since [2,5]=0 the objects 2 and 5 should be grouped together in the first
step as is done by the agnes function but hcluster start by clustering
objects 3 and 4. Why is this?

Regards

Henrik

library(cluster)