[R] smooth contour lines

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 17:25:50 CEST 2010

  On 27/09/2010 11:11 AM, Czerminski, Ryszard wrote:
> Is there an easy way to control smoothness of the contour lines?
>
> In the plot I am working on due to the undersampling the contour
> lines I am getting are jugged, but it is clear "by eye" these should
> be basically straight lines.

Straight lines should come out straight in our current scheme.  I
suspect your data contains rounding error or other noise, so the actual
contours aren't straight.

Curves are currently an issue:  the contouring scheme will generate
polygonal contours.  If the grid you pass is too coarse, you'll see it.
For example,

 > x <- 1:5
 > y <- 1:5
 > z <- outer(x, y, function(x,y) (x-2)^2 + (y-3)^2)
 > contour(x,y,z)

gives ugly contours.  The solution to this problem is to use a finer grid:

 > x <- seq(1, 5, len=20)
 > y <- seq(1, 5, len=20)
 > z <- outer(x, y, function(x,y) (x-2)^2 + (y-3)^2)
 > contour(x,y,z)

makes them look quite smooth.  So for your problem, I'd fit a nice
smooth model to your data, then evaluate it on a fine grid, and you'll
get nice smooth contours.

Duncan Murdoch