[R] Variation of predictor of linear model

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 22:09:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

Try this:

# using the iris dataset
mydat <- iris
mymodel <- lm(Sepal.Length ~ Petal.Length + Species, data = mydat)
summary(mymodel)
newdat <- data.frame(Petal.Length = seq(1, 10, by = .1),
                     Species = factor(rep("virginica", 91)))

results <- predict(object = mymodel, newdata = newdat, se.fit = TRUE)

results

The main lesson is that generally newdata should be a data frame with
columns that have the same name as the predictors (IVs) in your model.
 I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "variance of dependent variable
based on model".  Do you want its total variance, residual variance,
_______ ?

Cheers,

Josh

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Yi Du <abraham.du at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I use lm to run regression and I don't know how to predict dependent
> variable based on the model.
>
> I used predict.lm(model, newdata=80), but it gave me warnings.
>
> Also, how can I get the variance of dependent variable based on model.
> Thanks.

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles