[R] spplot cuts

emorway emorway at engr.colostate.edu
Mon Sep 27 22:56:54 CEST 2010

Hello-

After looking through ?spplot, I would expect that I could specify the
values of the cuts:

"...‘cuts’ number of cuts or the actual cuts to use..."

So in the following command,

spplot(lzm.krige.dir["var1.pred"], scales=list(draw=TRUE),
xlab="Easting",ylab="Northing",

cuts=seq(0.0,0.4,by=0.01),key.space="right",cex=1.1,col.regions=terrain.colors(41),
  main="Specific Yield Layer 1",sp.layout=list(pts))

I get the following warning messages and the plot is a solid color:

Warning messages:
1: In if (length.out == 0L) integer(0L) else if (One) seq_len(length.out)
else if (missing(by)) { :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
2: In if (length.out > 2L) if (from == to) rep.int(from, length.out) else
as.vector(c(from,  :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used

Looking at Edzer's response to a post:
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/using-spplot-sp-package-with-5-quantiles-td836245.html#a836246

it reinforces to me the idea that I should be able to specify where the cuts
should occur.  I'm not sure what to do with the warning message and my
google searches have been unfruitful.

Some supplemental information that might be helpful:

range(data.frame(lzm.krige.dir["var1.pred"])[,1])
[1] 0.1277067 0.2933876

I give the range of the plotted values because it varies between datasets
and I would like the color scale to remain fixed between images rather than
changing image to image making visual comparison's more difficult.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Eric