[R] Compare two 3d plots

Ab Hu master.rstat at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 00:10:42 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am still learning and find it very helpful in my research. I have searched
before posting this and could not figure out if there is a way to compare
matrices the way i am describing below:

I have a matrix of 64 cols and 64 rows which mostly has lots of zeros but has
other non-zero positive integers (usually grouped close to each other) in the
matrix. I use persp to get a 3d plot and it looks like a mountain with its peak
roughly in the center. I have several such matrices all 64-by-64 but with
different integers in the matrix such that the mountains look very different.

Problem:
If I overlay one 64-by-64 matrix over another, there will be many differences in
the mountains (such as, height[this is easy], shift towards one direction,
surface area[PeakArea from library sp], circumference), I want to quantify those
differences. I have some of them figured out but want your inputs to this. I
want to be able to compare several mountains with one another and rate them for
similarity/differences with one another.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ab