[R] Reshape

Toby Gass tobygass at warnercnr.colostate.edu
Tue Sep 28 04:31:26 CEST 2010

Hello, helpeRs,

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to change a dataframe from long to
wide format using reshape (the original).  I would appreciate it if
someone could demonstrate the correct syntax.  The script below will
create a toy example.  The new wide data should have a column name
for each unique entry in the "fame" column.   Under each column
should be either the appropriate weight or na, if there is no match.

Thus, the end product should have column names:

valley  plot   trt   18w   16iso  12:0, etc.

Here is the toy script for the starting data in long form:

dat <- data.frame(fame =  gl(4,1,10, labels = c( "18w", "16iso",
"12:0", "16w")), valley = gl(2,6,10, labels = c("H", "M")), plot =
gl(5, 2, 10), trt = gl(2,1,10, labels = c("e", "g")), weight =
1000*runif(10, 0, 1))

Thank you for your assistance.

Toby