[R] Opening a .R file with R (Windows)

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Sep 28 19:47:39 CEST 2010

Well, try following the correct conventions ...

1. Double click on an .Rdata file, which is produced by saving from R,
and it will open.

2. Drag and drop a .R or any text file into an open R window and it
will source the contents.

This is probably documented somewhere .. maybe in the RW FAQ.

-- Bert

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Joshua Wiley <jwiley.psych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kye,
>
> I have never gotten .R files to work quite like other types (e.g.,
> double-clicking a .PDF) in Windows.  AFAIK there is no simple way to
> do it, because you do not edit scripts directly in R (I am happy to be
> corrected if someone knows better).  For general use, I would just
> open R first and then open the file, or if you just want to run the
> file, you can use R's batch mode from the Windows command prompt.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Josh
>
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Kye Gilder <kye.gilder at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am new to using R.  I installed R on my computer (Windows) and everything
>> things appears to be just fine.  However, I have a simple script RTest.R
>> that does a few simple calculations.  When I double-click the RTest.R icon,
>> I get an Information dialong box which says, "ARGUMENT 'C:\Documents and
>> Settings\kgilder\Desktop\RTest.R' __ignored__" .  When I choose OK, R then
>> opens, but it does not open or display the script.  Any help or suggestions?
>>
>> When I open R and use File >> Open New Script and path to the file, it opens
>> just fine.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kye

> --