[R] Howto view function's source code of an installed package

Mark Miller mark_wayne_miller at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 21:10:08 CEST 2010

I justed wanted to provide a description of how I was able to view source
code of a function.

First download the Program R package containing the function.  Specifically,
download the file that ends in "tar.gz".  This is a compressed file.  Expand
the compressed file using, for example, "WinZip".  Next open the
uncompressed file that ends in ".tar".  I was able to open that file with
the free software "7-Zip" available on the internet.  After installing that
software I clicked on the file "7zFM.exe" and navigated to the directory
containing the ".tar" file.  You can extract the contents of that ".tar"
file into a new folder.  The contents consist of R files showing the source
code for the functions in the R package.  These R files can be opened with a
text editor.

Hopefully, it is okay to mention other software here by name.  I have used
the above method twice in the last few months to view source code for
functions.  In both instances I needed a substantial amount of time to
figure out how to do it.  This post might help others and perhaps will help
myself in the future.

Mark W. Miller

Gainesville, Florida