[R] Unix batch to different nodes

Daisy Englert Duursma daisy.duursma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 08:21:35 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am struggling with computing nodes in Unix.

I have the use of a Unix server that has 30 nodes and I would like to
batch scripts.

Here is an R example that results in 72 repeated tasks based on the 2
loops. If I wanted to send these out to the different nodes, each node
has 1 task and the remaining 42 tasks are put in a queue, what would I
do?

#Example:

proj.dir<-"C:/test/"
setwd(proj.dir)

group.vars <- c("biol1","biol4","biol5","biol6","biol12","biol15","biol16","biol17")
species <- c("aa", "bb", "cc", "dd", "ee", "ff", "gg", "hh", "ii")

for (gv in 1:length(group.vars)){
for (sp in 1:length(species)){

zzz <- file(paste(group.vars[gv],species[sp],".TXT",sep=""),"w")
	cat(paste(group.vars[gv]),file=zzz)
	cat(paste(species[sp]),file=zzz)
close(zzz)
}
}

I know it is a silly script test but the division is similar to my
real task which is repeated 459 times and each run takes 18 hours

At this point I am confused what should be written in Unix and then at
what point should I call R. I have read an abundance of things but I
feel like I am missing something essential. Or perhaps I have read all
the wrong things.

Thanks,
Daisy

--