[R] Using a variable in a covariance structure and as a predictor - is this OK?

Chris Mcowen chrismcowen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:24:02 CEST 2011

Dear list,

I have the model below which i am using to account for spatial autocorrelation:

exponential <-corExp(form = ~ Longitude + Latitude)

explanation_mod_all <- gls(Lower_PD~Area+Elevation+Temperature+Preceipitation+Agriculture+Urban+Human.footprint+Population, correlation = exponential)

I want to see if Latitude and Longitude are significant, is it statistically and methodologically correct to add them to the model i.e

explanation_mod_all <- gls(Lower_PD~Area+Elevation+Temperature+Preceipitation+Agriculture+Urban+Human.footprint+Population+Longitude+Latitude, correlation = exponential) ?

Thanks

Chris