[R] MySql Versus R

Allan Kamau kamauallan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:08:30 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Henri Mone <henriMone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R Users,
>
> I use for my data crunching a combination of MySQL and GNU R. I have
> to handle huge/ middle seized data which is stored in a MySql
> database, R executes a SQL command to fetch the data and does the
> plotting with the build in R plotting functions.
>
> The (low level) calculations like summing, dividing, grouping, sorting
> etc. can be done either with the sql command on the MySQL side or on
> the R side.
> My question is what is faster for this low level calculations / data
> rearrangement MySQL or R? Is there a general rule of thumb what to
> shift to the MySql side and what to the R side?
>
> Thanks
> Henri

I would assume RDBMS have advanced memory management capabilities and
are designed for the manipulation and handling of large amounts of
data. These are primary features for most database management server
software. This way the database management server software should (in
most cases) be used to store, manipulate then return only the
processed and qualifying records to the client or other application
for further specialized processing and/or data visualization.

Allan.