[R] MySql Versus R

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 13:36:44 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Henri Mone <henriMone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R Users,
>
> I use for my data crunching a combination of MySQL and GNU R. I have
> to handle huge/ middle seized data which is stored in a MySql
> database, R executes a SQL command to fetch the data and does the
> plotting with the build in R plotting functions.
>
> The (low level) calculations like summing, dividing, grouping, sorting
> etc. can be done either with the sql command on the MySQL side or on
> the R side.
> My question is what is faster for this low level calculations / data
> rearrangement MySQL or R? Is there a general rule of thumb what to
> shift to the MySql side and what to the R side?

 Given that you are already set up to test this yourself, why don't
you? SELECT everything from a table and add it in R, and then SELECT
sum(everything) from a table and compare the time (obviously your
example might be more complex). Post some benchmark test results
together with your hardware spec. Probably best to the db-flavour R
mailing list.

 Is the MySQl server running locally, ie on the same machine? Maybe
PostgreSQL will be even faster? So many of these questions are
problem-specific and hardware-setup related. You can get massive
speedups by having more RAM, or more disk, or spreading your giant
database onto multiple servers.

 Rules of thumb are rare in this world, since everyone's thumbs are
different sizes and are being stuck into different sized problems.

Barry