[R] installing ncdf on Ubuntu 10.04

Thomas Lumley tlumley at uw.edu
Sun Apr 3 23:02:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Steve Friedman <friedman.steve at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to install the "ncdf" package on a Ubuntu 10.04 laptop.
>
> Can you offer suggestions to install this package?

<snip>

> checking for netcdf.h... no
> configure: error: netcdf header netcdf.h not found
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘ncdf’
> * removing ‘/home/steve/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.12/ncdf’

Looks like you need the netCDF libraries.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcdf suggests that you need
both the binary and a -dev package with headers.

The ncdf binaries on Windows and Mac have been specially built to
include the netCDF libraries, but the source package doesn't include
them.

      -thomas

--
Thomas Lumley