[R] Adjusting p values of a matrix

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Apr 4 18:06:29 CEST 2011

       There are, however, the multcomp and multcompView packages that
might provide something of interest in this regard.  "multcomp" has a
companion book,  "Multiple Comparisons Using R" (Bretz, Hothorn,
Westfall, 2010, CRC Press), which I believe provides an excellent
overview of the state of the art in multiple comparisons.  The simple
rule is Bonferroni, which involves multiplying the p-values by n or
n(n-1)/2.

       Note, also, that one of the most important innovations in
statistical methods of the past quarter century is the development of
"false discovery rate", which estimates the false alarm rate among the
cases that the user actually sees, which is a mixture of true and false
hypotheses.  The p value, by contrast, is the probability of a decision
error only among hypotheses that are true.

       For more info, see the Wikipedia entries on Bonferroni or false
discovery rate -- or the book by Bretz, Hothorn and Westfall or the
vignettes accompanying the multcomp package.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer