[R] Cannot install pakcage RMySQL

alon.benari alon.benari at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:24:40 CEST 2011

Hello All,

I have a technical difficulty installing RMySQL. I am running openSUSE11.1
and R 2.12
I have installed MySQL from the website.
and following installation , as root
This is the part where trouble begin,
checking mysql.h usability... no
checking mysql.h presence... no
checking for mysql.h... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking /usr/local/include/mysql/mysql.h usability... no
checking /usr/local/include/mysql/mysql.h presence... no
checking for /usr/local/include/mysql/mysql.h... no
checking /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h usability... no
checking /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h presence... no
checking for /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h... no
checking /usr/local/mysql/include/mysql/mysql.h usability... no
checking /usr/local/mysql/include/mysql/mysql.h presence... no
checking for /usr/local/mysql/include/mysql/mysql.h... no
checking /opt/include/mysql/mysql.h usability... no
checking /opt/include/mysql/mysql.h presence... no
checking for /opt/include/mysql/mysql.h... no
checking /include/mysql/mysql.h usability... no
checking /include/mysql/mysql.h presence... no
checking for /include/mysql/mysql.h... no

Configuration error:
  could not find the MySQL installation include and/or library
  directories.  Manually specify the location of the MySQL
  libraries and the header files and re-run R CMD INSTALL.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Define and export the 2 shell variables PKG_CPPFLAGS and
   PKG_LIBS to include the directory for header files (*.h)
   and libraries, for example (using Bourne shell syntax):

      export PKG_CPPFLAGS="-I"
      export PKG_LIBS="-L -lmysqlclient"

   Re-run the R INSTALL command:

      R CMD INSTALL RMySQL_.tar.gz

2. Alternatively, you may pass the configure arguments
      --with-mysql-dir= (distribution directory)
   or
      --with-mysql-inc= (where MySQL header files reside)
      --with-mysql-lib= (where MySQL libraries reside)
   in the call to R INSTALL --configure-args='...'

   R CMD INSTALL --configure-args='--with-mysql-dir=DIR' RMySQL_.tar.gz

ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RMySQL’
* removing ‘/root/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.12/RMySQL’

Any ideas how to proceed from here? I am quite a newbie in LINUX
How do I find the mysql.h ?
using find / -name mysql.h but nothing there?
Did I use it right?
Any other ideas? How do I set this right?

Thank you