[R] extract variance for random effects from "mer" object

Maas James Dr (MED) J.Maas at uea.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 13:03:52 CEST 2011

I get an output from a glmer package, but would like to extract the variance of the Random effects, in this case called trtpair and the value is 0.

Can I extract it directly or do I need to do some further calculations on the "mer" object to get it?

Thanks

Jim

> class(fednmaout)
[1] "mer"
attr(,"package")
[1] "lme4"
> fednmaout
Generalized linear mixed model fit by the Laplace approximation
Formula: cbind(fednmadat$events, fednmadat$patnums - fednmadat$events) ~      treat + tn + (1 | trtpair)
   AIC   BIC logLik deviance
 84.01 153.1 -9.006    18.01
Random effects:
 Groups  Name        Variance Std.Dev.