[R] Problem Installing rJava on MS Win 7 Platform

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at frontier.com
Thu Apr 7 23:19:15 CEST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On
Behalf Of David Winsemius
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:41 AM
To: Stephen P Molnar
Cc: r-help at r-project.org; 'Uwe Ligges'
Subject: Re: [R] Problem Installing rJava on MS Win 7 Platform

He said "Java", not "rJava.

'http://cran.case.edu/bin/windows64/contrib/2.11/rJava_0.8-5.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 658913 bytes (643 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 643 Kb
>
> package 'rJava' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>        C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpcy0hAb
> \downloaded_packages
>>
> install.packages('C;\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local/Temp/Rtmpcy0hAb
> \downloaded_

  There is a semi-colon in that path above that looks wrong. You might
first want to check that all your PATH entries are recorded properly.

--
David.
> $
> Error: '\U' used without hex digits in character string starting "C;
> \U"
>>

> So, obviously, at this point I am attempting something that R does
> not like.

In addition, for Windows you need to either double your back-slashes in the
file path, or use forward-slashes instead.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA