[R] Where is the tcltk package?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Apr 8 03:25:14 CEST 2011

In view of various bits of advice I've received I tried:

(1) sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

The result:

> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> r-base is already the newest version.
> r-base-dev is already the newest version.
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>   linux-headers-2.6.32-28-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-28
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

No improvement in the situation; capabilities("tcltk") still returns FALSE.

(2) re-installing R from source, first doing

     ./configure --with-tcltk

Again no improvement; capabilities("tcltk") still returns FALSE.

WTF?  Why do these things always happen to ***me***? :-)

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner