[R] Memory allocation problem

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 05:08:05 CEST 2011

Hi Felipe,

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Luis Felipe Parra
<felipe.parra at quantil.com.co> wrote:
> Hello, I am runnning  a program on R with a "big" number of simulations and
> I am getting the following error:
>
> Error: no se puede ubicar un vector de tamaño  443.3 Mb
>
> I don't understand why because when I check the memory status in my pc I get
> the following:
>
>> memory.size()
> [1] 676.3
>> memory.size(T)
> [1] 1124.69
>> memory.limit()
> [1] 4000
>
> which should in theory allow to have a vector of size 443.Mb. I am running
> it on a pc on windows, 4gb RAM and intel core i7 processor. Does anybody
> know what might be going on?

It is not that *a* vector of size 443 MB could not be allocated given
your system.  However, during your simulation, multiple objects take
up memory, and that 443 MB vector was the final one that was too big
to assign.  Depending how your simulation is setup, you might be able
to remove objects that are no longer needed or rewrite it to a less
memory intensive form.  I do not know enough about memory+R to offer
any specific advice as to solutions.  Hopefully someone else here can
chime in.

Good luck,

Josh

> Thank you
>
> Felipe Parra
> --
>
> Este mensaje de correo electrónico es enviado por Quantil S.A.S y puede
> contener información confidencial o privilegiada.
>
> This e-mail is sent by Quantil S.A.S and may contain confidential or
> privileged information

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles