[R] multinom() residual deviance

Sascha Vieweg saschaview at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 09:06:59 CEST 2011

Hello

I am aware of the differences between the two models, excuse me
for being imprecise on that in my first posting. My question only
regards the "nature" or "structure" of the deviance, and thus
whether the residual deviance of the multinomial model is the same
residual deviance as reported by, say, glm. This is particularly
important, since I want to calculate a pseudo R-Squared as
follows (data from below):

library("nnet")
m <- multinom(y ~ ., data=df)
(llnull <- deviance(update(m, . ~ 1, trace=F)))
(llmod <- deviance(m))
(RMcFadden <- 1 - (llmod/llnull))

(I know that many statisticians here highly discourage people from
using the pseudo R-Squareds, however, not many editors read this
mailing list and still insist.)

The "MASS" book warning alerted me that the multinom residual
deviance may be of principally different structure/nature than the
glm one. Thus, while the calculation above holds for a glm, it
does not for a multinom model. Am I right? And how to fix?