[R] MLE where loglikelihood function is a function of numerical solutions

Albyn Jones jones at reed.edu
Sun Apr 10 19:05:47 CEST 2011

Hi Kristian

The obvious approach is to treat it like any other MLE problem:  evaluation
of the log-likelihood is done as often as necessary for the optimizer
you are using: eg a call to optim(psi,LL,...)  where LL(psi) evaluates
the log likelihood at psi.  There may be computational shortcuts that
would work if you knew that LL(psi+eps) were well approximated by
LL(psi), for the values of eps used to evaluate numerical derivatives
of LL.  Of course, then you might need to write your own custom
optimizer.

albyn