[R] Converting edgelist to symmetric matrix

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:13:13 CEST 2011

> Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:34:28 -0700
> From: kmshafique at yahoo.com
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] Converting edgelist to symmetric matrix
>
> Hi,
> I have network data in the form of a couple of edgelists containing weights in
> the format "x,y,weight" whereby x represents row header and y represents column
> header. All edgelists are based on links among 634 nodes and I need to convert
> them into a 634*634 weighted matrix.

not find
> a clue how to do this in R. Any help will be appreciated.

I'm trying to do something related and found

?read.graph

will format=ncol do what you need? This apparently creates a graph object that likely
has capacilities you need.  Again, I haven't actually used any of this
just found while trying to solve a different problem.

'It is a simple text file
with one edge per line. An edge is defined by two symbolic vertex
names separated by whitespace. (The symbolic vertex names
themselves cannot contain whitespace. They might followed by an
optional number, this will be the weight of the edge; the number
can be negative and can be in scientific notation. If there is no
weight specified to an edge it is assumed to be zero.
'