[R] simple maths question

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 03:06:29 CEST 2011

Georg Ehret <georgehret <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Mrs & Ms "R",
>     A simple maths question that I am trying to resolve with R: I need to
> calculate the SE from a pvalue and it's beta... How to do this...?
> Thank you very much and best regards!
> Georg Ehret, Geneva, Switzerland.

  Without more information, I don't think you can.  **If** you are
assuming a Z test (i.e. the thing you are testing against a null
hypotheses H_0=0 is supposed to be normally distributed) then you
know that

   p-value = 2*pnorm(abs(beta/SE),lower.tail=FALSE)

[based on a two-tailed test] and you can use qnorm() to
invert this, but you can't separate beta and SE.