[R] Predictkion interval using regression coefficients

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:59:20 CEST 2011

Hi Zeda,

The short answer to your question is no.  All you have are the
parameter estimates with no information on variability which you would
need to create a prediction interval.  Given the great ease of fitting
models in R, I would offer to refit the model for my boss, and then
(with the model in R), just use its handy predict() function to
calculate whatever predictions with any desired confidence with ease
(and graph them).  See ?predict and for basic linear models ?lm

Cheers,

Josh

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Zd Gibbs <zd.gibbs at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was given a list of parameter estimates from my boss. She wants to predict the
> dependent variable "fsshen" beyond jan 2011, the last observation, through
> December 2011, giving the prediction intervals (90%). I don't know if I have the
> complete information to do this. So my question(s) is can R determine a
> prediction interval from this data with just these parameter estimates. And if
> so, how?
>
> Thanks all who can help.
>
> Zeda.
>
> Here are the parameter estimates: