[R] for loop performance

Barth B. Riley bbriley at chestnut.org
Wed Apr 13 23:55:11 CEST 2011

Dear list

I am running some simulations in R involving reading in several hundred datasets, performing some statistics and outputting those statistics to file. I have noticed that it seems that the time it takes to process of a dataset (or, say, a set of 100 datasets) seems to take longer as the simulation progresses. Has anyone else noticed this? I am curious to know if this has to do with how R processes code in loops or if it might be due to memory usage issues (e.g., repeatedly reading data into the same matrix).

Thanks in advance

Barth

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This transmittal and any attachments may contain PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the
addressee. If you are not the designated recipient, or an employee
or agent authorized to deliver such transmittals to the designated
copying or publication of this transmittal is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this transmittal in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the sender and delete this copy from your
system. You may also call us at (309) 827-6026 for assistance.