[R] Clearing Console; of weeks of codes!

Philipp Pagel p.pagel at wzw.tum.de
Thu Apr 14 10:23:36 CEST 2011

> I do see I have weeks of codes in my console when I check with my arrow up
> keys.  I have been clearing them with Control L but it seems to clear it
> clear the screen temporally.

CTRL-L simply clears the screen and not the history.

> I do see the previous codes again when I open R
> the next day, after quitting the session!
>
> Q:
> How do I clear this?

What you are seeing is the R history which is stored in the file
.Rhistory in the current working directory when the session is closed
or savehistory() is used. Deleting that file before starting R will
"clear" the history. I am not sure you can clear the history of a
running R session. Deleting the file will not work while the session
is open because the history is in memory at that time and I am not
aware of a command to manipulate the current history.

The environment variable R_HISTSIZE can be used to control the size
of the history.

see ?history for details.

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl für Genomorientierte Bioinformatik