[R] Windows 7, update.packages problem: "unable to move temporary installation"?

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 09:05:46 CEST 2011

Hi Tal,

Three thoughts, not sure if any of them would pan out in your case.

1) Run R as an administrator
2) Shift your library location out of Program Files
3) just use install.packages("MASS"), the only downside is you'd have
to know the packages you wanted to update rather than just
update.packages() which will update everything you need at once for
you.

Best regards,

Josh

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Tal Galili <tal.galili at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am using R 2.13.0 with windows 7, after giving my user full privileges to
> the R folder (as described
> here<http://www.r-statistics.com/2011/04/how-to-upgrade-r-on-windows-7/>
> ).
> This allows me to install new packages just fine.
>
> However, when using update.packages(), to update existing packages, I keep
> getting the following error (for example, when updating the MASS package):
>
> package 'MASS' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program
> Files\R\R-2.13.0\library\file6cae3bcf\MASS' to 'C:\Program
> Files\R\R-2.13.0\library\MASS'
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>

> Thanks,
> Tal